Sunday 31 July 2016

Planning the journey


The development of holiday plans is something that always takes time and is, for me at least - Yes I know some people would call me sad - part of the fun of the holiday itself.

For 10 years now we have alternated between holidays in Europe and those further afield, often on the other side of the Atlantic. 

So it was clear we would be Europe based for this year's holiday. Two years ago, when we were in Croatia, Drew suggested we ought to visit Scotland as we had not visited before. So we agreed to this in principle, time then to think about the details. So over the last year we have begun more detailed planning about the holiday.

One of the first thing we agreed was that we would go to one of the quieter and more remote parts of the country. As a Celt, all be it a Brythonic rather than a Goidelic Celt, I had always appreciated, whenever I watched BBC Parliament, hearing the name of the constituency off the West of Scotland called Na h-Eileanan an Iar otherwise known as the Western Isles or the Outer Hebrides

So we began to look for places that would give us a sense of remoteness and came across a house in Crosbost, a small village on the Isle of Lewis which to confuse people like me is part of the same landmass (island) as the Isle of Harris. The house is called Seaview@Repose, which seemed perfect for its remoteness, its closeness to the sea and its promise of restfulness. I particularly liked the warning in the important information: "Property is situated on a crofting township with sheep." I've stayed in places which warned against, dogs, wolves and biting instincts, but this is the first time I've been warned about the presence of sheep. It made the place even more endearing to a Welsh man!

Having sorted the central part of the holiday, we booked it last September, we then began plans for the journey there, and the journey back; journey is probably the wrong word, as the travelling to new places, is another essential part of the holiday. 

Given we had gone with Drew's desire for a week of quiet and peace (though he's taking me with him, so there is little real chance of that!). I did the rest of the planning and included in my planning an intention to visit some of the restaurants in Scotland (and in Northern England) which I'd heard of from TV programmes like Great British Menu. This led to some challanges, as our route would have been more logical, if we hadn't made some 'most go' restaurant decisions. For example we had always loved the look of Tom Kitchen's food but when looking to book found it was closed on Sunday and Monday, so instead of a route which went up the west coast and came down the east coast, in a logical manner, we had to reroute to go to Edinburgh on the day we would have originally been in Glasgow, which had a knock on effect.

Still after the complex planning we found a route which meant we never spent more than 230 miles of driving in a day or 4.5 to 5 hours even on the busiest day. This is nothing compared to the 350 to 360 miles we have travelled in a day when in the USA or Canada. We also will only double back on our route for about 15 miles in the whole journey, so almost every road will be a fresh one for us.

So our overnight stops are:


Tuesday

Langho
Wednesday

Edinburgh
Thursday

Auchterarder
Friday

Uig
Saturday to Friday

Crossbost, Isle of Lewis
Saturday

Inverurie
Sunday

Glenesk
Monday

Glasgow
Tueday

Nidderdale
Wednesday

Birmingham
Thursday

Cardiff

I will fill in a little more detail on each night's accommodation in tomorrow's post.    

8 comments:

  1. that looks like a busy but great fun trip. I have never visited the West Coast of Scotland, but am very familiar with the East Coast from Inverness down to Edinburgh - and it is so beautiful, even in winter (especially in winter?) when I made most of my journeys there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping there will be a contrast between the two coasts, and even more so between the Highlands and the Islands. But I've never been north of Glasgow and Edinburgh, and when I have been to those it has been flying in from Cardiff and back in a day for meetings/seminars etc.

      So I am really looking forward to it.

      Delete
  2. Doesn't seem a lot of time up there Haydn. What's the rush? It's a place I'd love to explore, Ireland too. Saying that there's huge swathes of England yet to be seen. I like the food connection too. That seems very indulgent!!! Enjoy every morsel, lots of photos and.descriptions please xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doesn't seem a lot of time up there Haydn. What's the rush? It's a place I'd love to explore, Ireland too. Saying that there's huge swathes of England yet to be seen. I like the food connection too. That seems very indulgent!!! Enjoy every morsel, lots of photos and.descriptions please xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course there will be lots of photos and descriptions, though some of the restaurants don't welcome photos of their food, we will see what we can do.

      Delete
  4. Hi Kath,

    I always feel getting places are as important as being there, but a whole week in one place (or at least of day trips) will be a very immersive expereince - I hope :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be warned about "wolves and biting instincts"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin,

      great to have you with us again on the blog.

      The Wolves warning was in Yellowstone (or Jellystone as I always referred to it.

      The biting insects warning in Massachusetts

      Delete